As a marketing executive with Cisco Systems, Willa Black was given the challenge to start a campaign to promote the company’s Human Network. But it wasn’t until she left the tap running while brushing her teeth, that she connected the idea of her own individual responsibility to a wider global campaign.
With CBC’s The Hour and its host George Stroumboulopoulos, the campaign took off inspiring Canadians to record one million acts of environmental good in a record few months.
“You don’t need to do the big, huge monumental thing. You just need to do more of them and build them into your daily life.”
• Promotional Video Footage courtesy of One Million Acts of Green
• Music by Donna Britton
After examining her own life and daily habits, Willa contemplated the idea of power in numbers. She imagined changing simple acts in her daily life, such as turning off lights, washing clothes with cold water, carpooling, or planting a tree, and was excited by the potential reverberations if mimicked by a street, a city, and a country of others.
Acting on the principle of Corpoate Social Responsibility, Willa turned a marketing challenge into a green opportunity, resulting in over 4 million acts of green committed, and bringing about monumental change. Got an idea to change the world? Set your ideas into action !
"It’s powerful momentum around small acts that contribute to our environmental health. That’s the idea, it’s an act of green, it’s a million acts of green.” - Willa Black
Remember – in the battle to save the planet, act on your ideas. Share your story of how you're ideas into action by entering our contest, and you'll be eligible to win a prize, including being featured on TV as our next GreenHero!
• Green your workplace and invite a David Suzuki Foundation ambassador to help bring your colleagues on board
• Start your own corporate greening initiative or office greening party (even though 10/10/10 is over!) and look for opportunities where, like Willa, you can put a green spin on a business initiative.
• Commit to corporate acts of green with your office
• Personally commit to one or more acts of green
• Leave a comment here with your thoughts on how to act on your ideas!
• Tell 10 friends that close to 4 million acts of green have already been committed, saving 444,042,024 kilograms of greenhouse gases (that's like taking 94,077 cars off the road for a year!)
• Share Willa Black's GreenHeroes webisode using our neat Sharelizer widget. You can post GreenHeroes.tv videos on your blog or website by simply following the directions on our site.